33 Northwest 23rd Place
Portland, OR 97210-3534
Sal’s Italian Kitchen in Uptown is quite the gem. We chose to go to Sal’s because it was part of the 3 for $25.
It’s in a strip mall, but they have done a pretty good job of making it welcoming. It’s just that it doesn’t boast good people watching like all the other places on NW 23rd.
As part of the 3 for $25 you get to choose between 2 salads. I got the house salad, which was ok, my husband got the cesar and it was very good.
I ordered the Wild Boar Ragu. This is not the first place I have ordered it. Many people, when they hear the words Ragu, they immediately think about the pasta sauce in a jar, but most times its more of a braised meat, that is pulled and put back in the juices it was braised with, so it looks nothing like Ragu from a jar.
So you can imagine my disappointment when I first saw my dish and it looked like Ragu from a jar, but I was not disappointed at all once I tasted it.Very different than those I have had at Serrato or Parallel 45, but great nonetheless. I cleaned my plate!!
My husband got the scallops and they were perfectly done, great accompaniments and presentation was fantastic. Better yet the price was fantastic at just $13-$14.
Again we did the 3 for $25 so we got desserts. I go the panna cotta and my husband got the tiramisu. Both were great, but it was way too much food.
Sal’s is priced so well the 3 for $25 deal is not really a deal. Which makes me really like this place and we will definitely be back.
- Atmosphere lacks. I can’t lie. It’s in a strip mall, they have done a good job on the inside, but it’s not a romantic place by any means. But the food will wow you.
- Pricing I think is great. Good portions sizes and around $12-$15 a plate.
- Great wine selection, and ok beer selection and mixed drinks as well.
- Service was good once our server warmed up to us.
- Sal’s is located in Uptown.