6 Oak Street
Hood River, OR
We have been here 3 times now. We came the first time in June and were able to experience some great spring food, like a spring pasta.
My husband ordered this 3 pork dish. I wish I could remember all it had. Something like a pork loin, thick cut bacon, and a shredded pork. It was all together on a bed of pasta, like a spatzle. It was the best thing ever. Mine paled in comparison, and mine was pretty good.
Fast forward 4 months and the season has changed and so had the menu.
Our appetizer was Scallops that were atop a seasonal squash puree. They were perfectly tender and the puree was a great addition. I wish the picture was better, but the lighting was so bad.
I order the Squash soup and the Beet Salad. I can’t tell you how good they both were. Both were big enough for a hearty meal. Plus they serve the best bread at dinner, so it was a complete meal.
I didn’t intend to order just starters, but when you can’t decide between 2 favorites you just go for it. Both are time consuming, so I like ordering them out.
My husband ordered the Pork dish, which was also the special of the night. It was the most tender pork ever. He didn’t even need a knife and it was served with gnocchi (it was a different kind like garbanzo bean gnocchi, I need to write this stuff down). The sauce it was served with was a perfect.
The next day on our way out of town we decided to stop in for lunch because the burgers on the menu looked amazing. I apologize right now for not taking pictures. These burgers are thick and delicious. They come on a soft kaiser bun.
I decided to step out and try the veggie burger. It was a black bean burger and it was not good. It definitely needed a sauce to go with it, but it was the disappointing. BUT it was the only disappointing thing we have ever ordered at this restaurant. This is a place we will continue to visit as we pass through or on our next getaway.
- Atmosphere is romantic and cozy. Looks like even a place for groups.
- Pricing was a good for what you get. At around $20 an entree you were wowed with presentation, eating fresh seasonal food from local vendors and getting perfect portion sizes.
- They have cocktails, a few beers on tap and a good wine selection.
- Service is always great here. They waited on a table that was sat before us and she came over apologizing. It didn’t take that much longer for her to get to us, but I liked that they saw it as a mistake.
- Located in downtown Hood River right across the street from the Hood River Hotel.