6839 SE Belmont St
Update: We made it back for dinner, review is at the bottom of this post!
I feel like when I share this, I am letting you in on a little secret place, like maybe I should whisper or something. Hopefully the locals won’t mind me sharing this find. Songbird Cafe is a cute cafe in SE Portland, in a great area near Mt. Tabor. It really felt like we had discovered the local breakfast place that also has a great happy hour and dinner. And let’s not forget lunch. We went for breakfast, but we checked out all the menus.
I ordered the Dungeness Crab cakes with eggs and they were perfect. The perfect balance of just enough breading to hold them together, yet let the crab be the show. I had my 2 eggs over easy on top and just let the yolks spill over. They were topped with a red pepper sauce that was a perfect addition. Presentation on this dish was just as stellar as the taste of this dish. Perfect 10 in my book.
My husband got the Spicy Chorizo sausage scramble. Wow, the amount of flavor in this dish was incredible. I don’t cook with Chorizo sausage, even though my husband would love it if I did, that is probably why he is so drawn to these dishes. Great portions, great flavor, great presentation. Now you can understand why we checked out all the menus before we left.
My suggestion is get in just in time for Happy Hour so you can grab these beet chips. My husband is not fan of beets, but he even liked these. The specials were both good. The pasta, which is made in house, was very delicate and the dish was so great. The steak special was really good. It contained Dungeness crab Crab, which is what caught my attention and of course brussels sprouts. Loved this special. Dessert was a gluten free cheese cake. Even though we don’t need gluten free I was curious. The crust on this was amazing. It was thick and loaded with nuts. The cheesecake was also very well done. We don’t normally get dessert, but glad we got this one.
By the way, on the way out we talked to a couple of ladies. We told them we had driven quite a ways to get here. They couldn’t believe it. We said it feels like a hidden gem, they both said “It is and you must not tell anyone about it, it’s our hidden gem.” I just hope they never find my blog. You should take a trek out to see what it’s all about.
- Atmosphere was sweet, cute and like we had found a hidden treasure that they neighborhood enjoys. It also has a coffee pastry bar, so you can walk up order your drink and leave or sit outside.
- Pricing was really reasonable on all the items. Dinner is about $20 a plate.
- Service was great. They were plenty busy, but they stayed on top of everything.
- They had Stumptown coffee and Foxfire loose leaf tea. They also have quite a bar for cocktails during the evening hour. Plus about 4-5 beers on tap and wine. Both wine and beer are on discount during Happy Hour.
- Songbird Cafe is located right at Mt. Tabor, so the setting is quiet and pretty.