1800 NW 16th Ave. (at Thurman)
I was meeting up with someone for breakfast. We wanted some place new, but not down in the hustle and bustle of downtown(Sometimes, I like a little slower pace). After some research I came up with this place. We decided on a meeting time and we were all set. Then I put it into Google maps, and I was a little concerned. I was afraid I was taking us to some crazy industrial area. I won’t lie, it’s times like that when I don’t like being in charge of where we are eating, especially when it’s with someone I have never met and she knows I’m a food blogger.
I went with it. I figured if it was really bad we could find another place close by. I got there before she did and I walked in and was pleasantly surprised. This space is huge and has some great touches that make it a fun place to just sit and hang out.
This place really is a coffee shop first and foremost, or at least that is how I perceived it. There is no mistaking that they serve food here though because there is a huge chalkboard wall with all their entree’s. It’s pretty much a sandwich shop, but it looked good and affordable. Since it was breakfast I was going for the breakfast sandwich.
This sandwich was great. There was nothing crazy to write home about, but it was a good, affordable sandwich. It was much larger than it appears and neither one of us finished ours entirely.
If you are in the area, and you need to stop for a bit and work on your computer, this place if for you. That’s how it’s set up. But it’s also cute enough to meet a friend for coffee and a snack.
I love that they end their day on Happy Hour from 3-5pm. I even saw that they offered lasagna on the Happy Hour menu.
- Atmosphere is a very large and open space, yet cozy all at the same time. Definitely a space to hang out in for a bit. Then even had a few comfy chairs.
- Pricing is great. Not just on the sandwiches but on the coffee drinks and the tea.
- They serve Ristretto Coffee and Steven Smith Tea.
- Service was great. We chatted the gal up for a bit and before we knew we were talking Portland food. I love that.
- Breken Kitchen is located on NW 16th.