I get emails often from people asking where they should go if they have just one day in Portland. They usually are looking for meals, coffee and activities, you know the usual. I would tend to drive all over town, but most people like to park once and enjoy what they can within walking distance or at least without driving across town. I am going to do my best to create a few Portland Day Trips (one will be all over town), but today I will show you how I would EatMyWayThru NW Portland and play a little too.
The beauty of NW Portland is it takes in some of downtown, The Pearl and The Alphabet District, which includes the much talked about, NW 23rd and on up to Forest Park. There is no shortage of places to eat and things to do, so here is how I would spend my day in NW Portland.
- Olympic Provisions – They make their own meats in house. It is in a very off beat location, but people still swarm to it. – Also serves dinner
- Lovejoy Bakers for a more casual, people watching breakfast. Especially when it’s nice and you can sit outside. – Also a great place to grab a cup of coffee and a snack or lunch.
- Little Big Burger is great for a quick lunch that’s not going to leave you stuffed. Here you will get little burgers and some great fries. It’s a good affordable option.
- Serratto is a beautiful space, and you can enjoy their lunch for a little less. They don’t skimp too much at lunch, you can still order things like scallops on the lunch menu. – Also a great dinner option.
- Lela’s Bistro – for a big selection of Banh Mi’s or Pho.
- Cafe Umbria offers a very European feel.
- Parish for their oysters in the half shell at their Happy Hour price – Also has a weekend brunch
- Oven & Shaker for some amazing pizza and great cocktails.
- Ataula – They serve tapas, so it’s a great way to share lots of different items. They also serve a Sunday brunch that is fabulous.
What to do in NW Portland
- Drive up or hike up to the Pittock Mansion then enjoy views of the city and Mt. Hood
- Hike through Forest Park
- Shop through NW 23rd
- Powell’s Book – a bookstore that takes up a whole city block
- Feeling crazy? Head to the Peculiarium
- Finish the Day with ComedySportz
For even more suggestions check out my NW Portland Pinterest board. There is so much in this area and I am only scratching the surface. What else would you add to your day in NW Portland?