Meat Cheese Bread
Seriously don’t know how it has taken me so long to discover this place, but I will tell you right now it’s a favorite. I had my mind made up before I even got there. I wanted the Green Bean sandwich. But the menu!!! It’s crazy! The options of goodness roll off the board making you feel like you should order 2 sandwiches each. We managed to contain ourselves, well kind of.
Like I said I knew I was after the Green Bean sandwich. There is a bacon jam on this, so it’s not vegetarian, which is fine by me, but just a word of warning for those vegetarians out there. It was crazy good. The jam, the eggs cooked perfectly, the crunchy green beans, the whole thing.
My husband decided to go with a breakfast sandwich. He chose the Smoked Ham. This sounds like a typical, plain, maybe even safe sandwich. Well it was, but it was also incredible. The aioli, grueyer cheese and the extra soft bun made this a ham sandwich you wouldn’t soon forget.
The Fall Panzanella salad looked tempting with it’s squash and squash vinaigrette. Even though we knew it was a bread salad we chose it anyways. (See this is where we almost had self control.) This salad was ridiculously good. I came for the Green Bean Sandwich and left having been wowed by their salad.
We are ready for our next visit. They have a Roasted Mushroom sandwich with Brussel sprouts that looks delicious. Plus I would like to try their Banh Mi and their Maple breakfast sandwich. Who am I kidding? I could work through the whole menu.
- Atmosphere is sweet and retro. You feel like you have stepped back in time here. It’s a small, yet cute spot with tons of windows making it warm and inviting even on the coldest and rainiest of days.
- Service was great. You order at the counter, and they were super helpful.
- Prices were great. My sandwich was $9 and the Ham sandwich was $6 and his added egg cost an extra $1. The huge salad was just $7.
- They had all kinds of sodas, 1 beer on draft and Heart Coffee.
- Meat Cheese Bread is located in SE Portland.
This place is definitely on my Favorites list!