I asked my Facebook and Twitter readers, “Where do you take out of town guests?” and I got a huge response. You know why? Because Portlanders love their city and they want to make sure you take it all in. It is a tough choice for anyone visiting our great city. Downtown is completely different than the SE side and NW 23rd is completely different than North Portland. Some believe there are places that are better than others, but to me, I LOVE the diversity of our city and I am willing to drive all across town just to get a completely different experience.
The question I get asked often is where to go, food and sites. I always have people start with my Favorites List when looking for a place to eat, as it gives you a tiny snipit of why those places made my favorite list. What I don’t have on my list, is places that are fun to visit that might not involved food. I know, sounds crazy doesn’t it? Yet even when I asked all my readers, they couldn’t leave out food completely (that’s why I like you guys), but they did have some other suggestions too.
Here is the list of places (dining and attractions) to take out of town guests as suggested by You, my Portland Loving readers:
- Drinks at Rum Club
- Food Carts at 10th and Alder – may I suggest Gaufre Gourmet, Aybla, Ole’ Coffee, Korean Twist You can even read the stories behind some of these carts.
- Top of Mt. Tabor – We did the stair walk out of Portland Stair walks and had a really fun day. Ended with food carts, of course.
- Drinks at Departures for the view
- Portland Saturday Market
- Rose Garden
- Multnomah Falls then eat at Tippy Canoe
- Lauretta Jeans for pie, although their Eggs Benedict is pretty good too.
- Pok Pok
- Ride the tram – Feeling adventuresome? Try the 4-T Trail
- Salt and Straw
- Ringside Fish House
- Vista House
- Ground Kontrol
- Church of Elvis
- Tin Shed
- Powell’s – a book store that takes up a whole city block. Be prepared to be lost and in heaven.
- The Freakybuttrue Peculiarium and Museum – I had to go once someone suggested it. Interesting for sure
- Portland Spirit
- PSU Farmers Market
- Cathedral Park
- Meriwethers – especially great in the summer to enjoy the great outdoor dining.
- Irving Street Kitchen
- Noble Rot
- Hiking in the Gorge – Beautiful Oneonta or 5 Easy Hikes you can do in the Gorge. Plus many more hikes here.
I have not been to all these places. Many are still on my list, others I have been to and agree these things scream PORTLAND.
So thank you to everyone who shouted out suggestions of where to take your out of town guests. Hopefully this list will give people a variety of places to enjoy. And feel free to add to the list for any place you think we left out.
Looking for more ideas? How about Your Guide to NW Portland || Over 20 Places to Eat, Play & Wander in SE Portland || Eating, Shopping & Walking Thru St. John’s || 9 Breakfast Places I’m Excited About || 6 Food Carts That Have Raised the Bar || 5 Great Day Trips out of Portland || 5 Easy Columbia Gorge Hikes