406 SW 13th Ave Ste 202
We’ve been twice now and my review has only changed a little. I think even more highly of this place now than I did the first time. I was very impressed the first time, that’s why I came back.
For starters I love that they are open in the middle of the afternoon. Yep we showed up around 3ish the first time we went. The place was almost empty, which is how we scored the sushi counter, which is always our favorite. The hostess/server (who we have since learned is the owner) was super helpful. We aren’t seasoned sushi/sashimi eaters, but we do enjoy it. Because of that, it’s hard to know what to order. We are always very adventuresome as we know the few things we just don’t like. Don’t give me Sea Urchin, just don’t!
As we sat down we began to talk with our server and told her a few things that we liked and she began to order for us. She got us going, helped us decided on a few Sakes, let us take pictures of the bottles so we could enjoy them at home as well. She checked back often, made sure we were enjoying what we ordered and helped us make anymore decisions that we needed made. So much stuff was new that I don’t remember everything (except the ocean trout, that’s a new favorite), but there is a sampling of what we got. This is between both visits.
The second time was just as great as the first time. She did remember us and she again was super helpful and helped us order. We got a few of the same things, but also tried new stuff again. The one sushi roll that we ordered was spicy and they found out we liked spicy food, so they even bumped it up a notch. Very good!
I highly recommend this place.
- Atmosphere is very light bright and modern with a nice touch of cozy.
- Service is some of the best we have had in Portland.
- Pricing is on the high side. I think all good sushi places in town are. Expect to spend about $60 a person if you are really adventuresome. We walked away so full both times too.
- Drinks included a great Sake selection, but also I hear their cocktails are great too.
- Masu Sushi is located in Downtown Portland.