The experience we expected and they experience we got were so different. This place far exceeded any expectations that I had. It worked out perfectly that we sat at the chefs counter and everyone was so helpful. In the end…most excellent meal.
We looked over this menu and as I already said we asked a few people for suggestions before finally making a decision. Our great server just kept coming back and saying “I’ll give you more time.” We were torn in so many different directions, but we finally settled on 2 appetizers, 2 small plates and 1 entree. It gave us the most selection without giving us way too much food.
The Oysters had a house made mignonette that included jalapeno, which was gave just a subtle kick.
The Scallops were probably one of my favorite dishes of the night. This dish was layer with flavors of spicy mayo, cucumbers and pistachios.
To our surprise our meal came the buttermilk rolls. I had seen on the menu you could order extra, I just didn’t know some came with the meal.
From there we jumped into the small plates. The Calamari Salad again was loaded with flavor combinations. Even the calamari was slightly spicy.
Octopus done right is always a treat and they not only did it right, but it came with spicy tomato sauce and arancini.
For our entree we were choosing between the Brisket and the Braised Pork and 2 people talked us into Fried Chicken and Clams. It doesn’t even sound right but the combo of flavors coming from this dish were a flavor explosion that I don’t experience often. This dish is so spectacular and unique at the same time, I say don’t miss it. I’m glad we went outside of our comfort zone for this one.
- Atmosphere was really cozy on the cold rainy winter day. We got there early so we chose the chefs counter so we could really get a good idea of what everything was.
- Pricing after all these courses came to about $40 a person not including our drink.
- Service was spectacular. They were on top of everything and we got lots of feedback on what to order from several people that were checking in on us as the courses were coming out.
- Not to miss item would be the Chicken and clams.
- Drinks included lots of mixed drinks, wine and beer by the bottle.
- Taylor Railworks is located in SE Portland.